#NLSEXTERNSHIP CHALLENGE : TALES FROM MY IBADAN EXTERNSHIP


TALES FROM MY IBADAN EXTERNSHIP


Externship for me wasn't a time to study but was a time to find the reason why I still had to study law. I needed a greater reason than the usual "white hat" classification that the profession is known for. I needed to see for myself the pros and cons of the profession.
I was the chief Justice of my faculty and I had presided over two moot and mock meetings and a person of my experience shouldn't have had any problem knowing what practice entailed but deep inside if me i knew I had  only been to court once (was even a vacation court) and I had the reoccuring fear of what I was gonna find out from the real practice during externship.
There was two weeks before court attachment started and I had consumed the whole of my syllabus from week three to week 20, incredible right? I read from dusk to dawn, from bed to restroom. I did that cause I of cos the lectures were like Chinese.
Court attachment started and on our very first day, Hon Justice A.A. Aderemi who headed my court placement asked us all student to stand to our feet and asked a volunteer to move a motion. I could feel heart beats racing and mouths drying up but a lady was able to move the motion impeccably and we all claimed the victory as ours.
But one misconception that the "incident" left people with was that they were going to fail because they knew next to nothing and they jumped into a frantic study race.
Enough of the story.
Externship is a period to get a hands on experience on the Practice of the law.
I got to see all that I had read within the shortest time in action. Lawyers moving motions, dressing of the court, language of the court, counsel canvassing arguments, order of precedence being observed and even to judges delivering rulings and judgements.
It was better, easier and more productive to watch and learn than to study and contrary to general belief Ibadan lawyers are really smart and theres a lot of criminal and divorce cases so be rest assured you will be grounded in those two.
All I needed to do during my externship was learn drafts every 7am when I got to the courts (I got there even before the security men, yeah I was that serious) and eavesdrop on productive conversations of my colleagues
Chamber attachment for me was more of sleeping because the firm I was placed was more of a commercial firm that hardly litigated so I slept a lot and added a lot if  weight. Well, I read the whole syllabus like three times during my chamber externship and I asked the lawyer attached to me too many questions of things I didn't I understand that I felt he became frustrated with me. Lol. Thats another point, create an understanding with the principal partner of your firm, Ibadan lawyers are really nice.

 Be inquisitive. That's another lesson I learnt. I figured during the externship that learning the How was more important that learning the what.
If I were to advise anyone, its going to be that the student shouldn't get scared of the exams because there is actually enough time spread for you to learn and read but first thing is to work out a  reading plan/schedule(when and how to read up chapters, sections and practice drafts frabntically). Ask questions from lawyers and colleagues, do not engage in group discussions because it actually impedes growth, stop the focus on past questions, dont be moved or overwhelmed by your colleagues progress because its not how far but how well and really stay away from SIN and LUST of the flesh because I can say God will be angry at you and instead of a 1st or 2.1 you would just get a 2.2 or pass. Lool.
Its easy, see you at the bar.


Abiodun-Oni Taiwo


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts