Road Trip to Enugu


's been 6 hours !!! How did I end up here? The white men that created plane didn't they know what they were doing? The driver keeps saying we are almost there but all I'm seeing around me are trees..

We make our first stop at this motor park. Food is being sold, the toilets are filled up. I come out to stretch my legs for a few minutes before I embark on this never ending journey.

The ride is going smoothly and we have finally reached Onitsha !! Onitsha the Igbo land!! It doesn't seem as bad as I expected, it seems as though the bus is slowing down!!! I don't believe this, the bus isn't moving .

I begin to ask myself if this isn't a sign from God. Why does the bus have to break down on my way to Enugu. I decide I can't wait for the bus to be fixed and I quickly join A bus that has Enugu on it. Funny how cheap the bus fare is, just 200 Naira. I ask the person next to me how far we are and he says Enugu is just an hour away. 

Nobody prepared me for this. I can't believe how bad the roads are. Firstly this is more than a pothole, there is no road to look at. We pass anambra and it doesn't seem that bad. It's been more than an hour and I can't see any form of civilization. I begin to rethink coming by bus. 

The bus finally drops me at this motor park called HOLYGHOST ( weird name 🙄). Next thing I see are people with wheel barrows dragging to carry my load. I finally find one and I ask him to take me to the bus going to Agbani. 


As I make my way to the Law School I realize how different Enugu is from Lagos. It seems life here is simpler, there is no traffic and the indigenes seem happier. I've finally reached here and it's 6:40pm. Seems like the sun sets early here. 

School is situated a trekkable distance from the express road so I decide to take a bike in. I register and I can't wait to drop my stuff and book a hotel till tomorrow. To my surprise I am offered temporary accomodation in Adam and Eve Hostel ( what's with the names here though?). It is at this point I realize i am in big trouble. To most students here they seem not to mind but coming from a university where I didn't stay on bunk beds or share a toilet this is coming as a shock. 

I force myself to sleep and try not to worry about my predicament. I find myself dreaming of my ideal Law School; thousands of miles away from Agbani. 

Comments

Popular Posts